Maldives Medical Council was established in September 1999, by a Presidential Decree and is mandated to regulate medical and dental practice in the country in order to ensure highest standard of professional and ethical standards.
Our vision is to protect, promote and maintain the health and safety of the public by regulating the practice of medicine and dentistry and by guiding the registered medical and dental practitioners to maintain highest professional and ethical standards.
Our mission is to allow only medical and dental practitioners who are clinically competent and who maintain highest professional and ethical standards to practice medicine in the country.
We do this by controlling the entry to the medical register, setting the standards for medical schools been established in the country and publishing reference guidelines for use by health care providers in granting practicing privileges. We also take fair and firm action where practitioners fail to meet set professional, ethical standards and the principles and values of good medical practice.
STRATEGIC GOALS / FUNCTIONS
• Keep and maintain registers of registered medical practitioners
• Approve or reject applications for medical registration or to approve such application subject to such restrictions as it may think fit
• Issue practicing certificates to registered medical practitioners
• Monitor the training of medical students and new doctors to ensure their medical education is appropriate
• Approve or reject applications for recognition and accreditation of medical schools and their training programs or approve such application subject to such restrictions it may think fit
• Determine and regulate the conduct and ethics of registered medical practitioners
• Advice and make recommendations to the Minister of Health on issues relating to Medical practice in the country and Medical Education leading to a registrable degree/diploma with Maldives Medical Council.