ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENT AND THE RULES GOVERNING ADMISSIONIN AN UNDERGRADUATE MEDICAL COURSE IN A FOREIGN MEDICAL INSTITUTION
Minimum Requirements For Entry Into a Basic Medical/Dental Programme
A thorough understanding of science, in particular biology and chemistry, is essential to pursue a medical education programme. However academic excellence alone is not sufficient for a carrier in medical profession as honesty, integrity and good health are also essential attributes of a good medical professional. Hence Maldives Medical Council identifies the following as the minimum requirement for enrolling in a Basic Medical/Dental Education programme:
- He/she shall complete the age of 17 years on or before 31st December, of the year of admission to the MBBS course;
- Should have no record of offence(s) affecting the human body;
- Should have no record of serious dishonesty ( e.g. cheating at examinations, falsification of documents, plagiarism etc);
- Should have no history of serious physical or mental illness; and/or
- Should have no serious communicable disease(s).
- He/she should have the following educational qualifications:
- Any applicant with General Certificate of Education Advanced Level (UK) or its equivalent certificate or has completed foundation or pre-medical programme, shall have passed and attained a minimum of the following at Secondary Certificate level.
|GCE O Level (UK)||3Cs or higher each in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and C or higher grade in two other subjects.C grade and above in English|
|Any other qualification validated by Maldives Qualification Authority as Equivalent to GCE O Level (UK)||3Cs or equivalent each in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and C or higher grade in two other subjects.C grade and above or equivalent in English.|
- and the applicant should have passed and attained a minimum of the following:
|General Certificate of Education Advanced Level (UK)||C grade and above in any three subjects out of the following four: Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics|
|Any other qualification validated by Maldives Qualification Authority as Equivalent to General Certificate of Education Advanced Level (UK)||C grade and above or equivalent in any three subjects out of the following four: Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics|
|Health Science Degree (BSC) in any subject|
|Pre-Medical/Pre-Dentistry course||MBBS should be done in the University of pre-medical/pre-dental study.|
Rules governing undergraduate Medical Study Abroad
- A Maldivian citizen, who has passed the qualifying examination recognized by the Maldives Medical Council and is desirous of joining an undergraduate medical course in any foreign medical institution on or after 1st December 2012 shall approach the Council for issue of an Eligibility Certificate for that purpose.
- The request for issue of Eligibility Certificate shall be made by the candidate in the format prescribed by the Council and shall be accompanied by the original certificate/mark-sheet (together with Photostat copy) of the qualifying examination. The original certificate shall be returned to the candidate following verification. There shall be a fee for processing of eligibility certificate. The fee shall be fixed by the Council.
- The Council shall consider the application for Eligibility Certificate and verify the following details as per the Regulations of the Council –
- Whether the candidate fulfills the age criterion prescribed by the Council.
- Whether the candidate fulfills the eligibility criteria for admission to MBBS or Equivalent course as prescribed by the Maldives Medical Council.
- Whether the Medical College/ Medical School the candidate is proposing to join to pursue Medical Education is recognized by the Council.
4. After verification as required, if the candidate is found to fulfill criteria for admission and the course and standard of institution is acceptable to the Council, the candidate shall be issued a no objection certificate on a prescribed format certifying that he or she is eligible to join a medical institution to obtain the primary medical or dental qualification. This certificate will have to be surrendered to the Council together with the application for Maldives Medical Council Registration.
5. The issuance of a no objection certificate by the Council to a candidate shall not entitle him or her to any right whatsoever, other than to take admission in an undergraduate medical course in a medical institute recognized by the Maldives Medical Council for the purpose.
6.In case the candidate does not fulfill any of the qualifying criteria the Council shall reject his application for issue of Eligibility Certificate giving the reasons thereof.
7. The Medical Council Registrar may refuse to register any applicant who has completed Primary Medical Degree (MBBS or Equivalent) if he or she does not meet the admission and eligibility criteria of the Council and completed the program without the eligibility certificate from the Medical Council.
8.The Council may call to investigate on its own into the validity of information furnished by the candidate in his/her application and/or call for any further information in this regard from the candidate and in the event of any information furnished by the candidate being found to be incorrect or false following such an investigation or at any subsequent stage, the Council may refuse to issue the eligibility certificate or if already issued may cancel the same and the Council shall initiate appropriate disciplinary proceedings against the offender. The decision of the Council in this regard shall be final.